Improve Your Backyard with a Fire Pit
While we may still be getting hit hard with snow, it doesn’t mean that you can’t think of ways to improve your backyard! One of the most fun ways you can do this is by adding a fire pit. When you add this element to your yard, you create a dramatic point that enjoyed year-round! Whether you buy a portable pit or you have one built in, you’re guaranteed a place to gather around or relax.
For homeowners that are looking to have a fire pit built in, you’ll want to choose a spot that is away from low branches and on flat ground. Mark where you’ll want the fire pit to go with spray paint. We recommend a size of 36-44 inches. Next, you’ll want to excavate the ground in the fire pit shape and dig down to about 8 inches. Once the hole is dug, add some sand to the bottom and add a retaining wall of fire-proof matter and fire brick. Below are some tips to keep in mind during the process:
- Think of how many people you’ll normally have around the fire pit when you are marking off the space.
- You’ll want to check with your town for any building codes that may affect where you can place the pit or what type of wood can be burnt.
- When choosing a material, you’ll want to make sure it’s not only heat absorbent, but decorative as well!
Fire Pit Ideas:
- Think outside the box when marking off your space. Typically, people go with a circle, but you can choose a square, triangle or even L-shape. Get creative!
- To enjoy your fire pit in less than desirable weather conditions, place it under a gazebo.
- Make it relaxing by placing plants or flows by the area.
- Don’t forget to make sure guests are comfy! Provide comfortable seating and pillows.
If adding a fire pit on your own isn’t exactly up your alley, consider hiring the professionals with Done Right Landscape! Not only can we install your fire pit, but we also provide lawn care services so we are able to maintain the ground around it throughout the year. With Done Right Landscape, one call takes care of it all! To learn more about our services or to receive a quote on a fire pit, call us at 781-858-8000 or by filling out our online form.